Each of these quick breakfast ideas incorporates protein and good carbs in the form of fresh fruits and vegetables to help carry you through the morning. All three recipes are low on the glycemic index.
Breakfast Shopping List
- Low-carb tortillas
- Bacon, turkey or pork, uncured
- Shredded cheese
- Provolone cheese slices
- Canadian bacon slices
- Skim milk
- Whey protein, chocolate flavor
- Frozen strawberries, no syrup or sugar added
Quick Breakfast Tips
- Cook anything possible in advance and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. For example, cook the bacon slices and boil the eggs.
- Get squeezable condiments and dressings when possible to avoid having to take out a knife for spreading.
- Wash and chop leaf vegetables when possible and store them in sandwich bags in the fridge for reach-in convenience.
- Optional: Make each recipe lower in fat by using low fat products where available.
Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Low Carb Club Breakfast Wrap: This breakfast meal can be modified to be either low-carb/high-fat or low-carb/low-fat. Heat one tortilla by rolling it gently in a damp paper towel and heating it on high for 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave. Fill it with a slice of ham, some shredded cheese, two or three slices of bacon and add tomatoes and spinach. Dress with ranch dressing or mayonnaise. If you like the ham and bacon warm, roll them inside the tortilla when heating it in the microwave. Make this recipe low in fat by using low fat dressing and cheese. For more volume, add more veggies like some onion, sprouts, or green pepper.
- Avocado and Provolone Roll-Up: This breakfast meal is low-carb and includes natural fats. Use a slice of provolone cheese as the wrap for this quick meal. Layer on some thin slices of avocado, a few Canadian bacon slices, and sprouts then roll them up together. Optional: Drizzle some dressing on top of ingredients before rolling them up together. To make it more filling, you can also add slices of a hard-boiled egg.
- Chocolate Strawberry Protein Smoothie: This breakfast meal is low-fat and includes good carbs from fruit and dairy. Combine 1 cup of skim milk, 1 scoop of whey protein, and 1 cup of frozen strawberries in a blender. Blend until smooth for a frothy, icy smoothie that can be poured into any cup. This recipe is also great if made in advance and kept in the freezer in single servings until almost ready to eat; take one serving out of the freezer as you’re getting ready in the morning and it will melt enough in that time frame to reach a frozen smoothie consistency as you’re heading out the door.
These breakfast ideas can double as healthy snack ideas or as substitutes for other meals. Add more nutrition for almost no calories by including more vegetables or more fruit in any of the recipes. You can also double any recipe and save one serving for another time.